15-year-old Cadet Amit Raj of Sainik School, Sacrifices his life while saving kids from fire
15 year old Cadet Amit Raj of Sainik School, Purulia sacrificed his own life while saving the lives of three kids. Amit Raj was a tenth class student of Purulia Sainik School and he belonged to Nalanda district of Bihar.
On 7 December, Amit Raj was in his home town when a significant fire broke out in a home in his neighbourhood. Cadet Amit Raj, even on the perils of his life jumped inside the home, which was in flames, when he heard the helpless screams of the trapped kids. At the cost of his life, Amit Raj saved all three kids.
Surprisingly, reports claim that no local people came forward to help the children when the fire broke out. Amit Raj, who got severely burned, was rushed to the nearby hospital, where he took his last breath.
Amit Raj sustained 80% burn whereas saving the lives of three kids. He was referred to Safdarjung hospital because of worsening scenario and eventually succumbed to his injuries on thirteenth(13) December.
Cadet Amit was not only talented but also owned a golden heart. His helpful nature made him really special,” one of his friends said. “His untimely death has shocked the entire school,” another added. Many of his friends also took to Twitter to pay their tributes to Cadet Amit Raj.
Hearing Rupali's call for help, cadet Amit Raj ventured in and controlled the fire. In the process, he got himself injured, sustaining severe burn injuries. Over 80 percent, to be precise. He was then taken to Patna for better treatment while Bhushan Kumar, his father and a Mumbai-based electrician working for a construction contractor, rushed for Patna on December 6, 2020.
Supported by the authorities from Sainik School, Purulia, the injured youth was taken to New Delhi where he succumbed to the burn injuries on December 13, 2020. He was eldest of the three children of Bhushan Kumar and aspired to join the Indian Navy. Amit was all set to appear in the upcoming board examinations for Class X.
Barely able to make ends meet with a meager monthly income of Rs 15,000, Bhushan Kumar, told that all his dreams were shattered with the demise of his meritorious son. While the residents of Pasture wanted a gallantry award to be bestowed upon the valiant kids, Bhushan requested the government to ensure the quality education of Amit's younger siblings. Uncontrollably aggrieved, Baleshwar Prasad, Amit's grandfather, could barely talk.
Effective leadership is not about preaching sermons or being followed. Effective leadership, however, is defined by results and not attributes. Leadership was manifested by Cadet Amit Raj on December 3, 2020, when he left his residence at village Pasure in Nalanda district, located almost 100 km from the state capital, Patna. It was a routine morning walk.
Barely 100 meters from his home, he heard Rupali, 13, crying for help after things went unmanageable while she was preparing her morning tea. What started with minor leakage of an LPG cylinder resulted in an uncontrolled fire that eventually made Amit its casualty. Even the Indian Army condoled his demise on its official Twitter handle.
Elaborating on the fire incident, Sudha Devi said Amit saved the day but laid down his life in the process. Rupali expressed her gratitude too. Talking to, Rupali said she could not see what exactly happened after Amit entered her house. Amit directed her to get out while he tried to control the fire, she added.
“Cadet Amit Raj will continue to inspire future generations with his courage and bravery. Indian Army salutes the supreme sacrifice of the Braveheart,” mentioned the Army on social accounts.