32.1 C
New Delhi
Wednesday, July 24, 2024
HomeNewsDefenceNIA Takes Over Probe of Maoist Ambush Which Killed 22 Jawans in...

NIA Takes Over Probe of Maoist Ambush Which Killed 22 Jawans in April

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
NIA Takes Over Probe of Maoist Ambush Which Killed 22 Jawans in April
Representational image. (PTI)

The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has taken over the probe into the April 3 ambush on security forces by 350-400 Maoists in Chhattisgarh’s Bijapur district, in which 22 personnel were killed and a jawan took hostage.

Labelled one of the deadliest ambushes in recent times, the attack was led by the commander of Battalion-I of Maoist’s People’s Liberation Guerilla Army (PLGA), Hidma, who is wanted for major attacks in the state in the last 15-16 years.

Officials familiar with the development said NIA began investigating the attack after taking over case documents from Chhattisgarh police earlier this month.

Jammu and Kashmir Cop Killed by Suspected Terrorists | Defence News

NIA has named some top commanders of Maoists – including Hidma, Nabbala Keshav Rao alias Raju (general secretary of the outfit), Mupalla Ladksman Rao alias Ganpati (former general secretary), Venugopal alias Bhupati, Sujata, Nagesh, Prashant – apart from 350-400 cadres in its First Information Report (FIR).

Security forces had launched an operation on April 2-3 after receiving information that top commanders of Maoists including Hidma were gathered near village Tekulgudiyam, Jhiram, in the territory of Tarrem police station in Bijapur.

Close to 1,700 personnel from different camps in Bijapur and Sukma, began a combing operation on the night of April 2, but the next day, around 10.30am, they were trapped by Maoists from three sides and fired upon.

Centre, Forces Refine Theaterisation Plans Before Seeking CCS Approval

Initial reports stated that Maoists had emptied the villages in the area before the attack, which suggested they had prior information of the movement of forces.

Following the firing, the Maoists also looted arms and ammunition, walkie-talkie sets, cell phones and other belongings from the deceased personnel. A Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) commando, Rakeshwar Singh Manhas, was also taken hostage by Maoists but he was released after four days.

Explaining the “U-shaped ambush”, an official said, in such attacks, there is only one escape route which is also the entry point as the other three sides are blocked by the attackers.

‘Remove Shortcomings’: India Tells Pakistan on Bill Permitting Jadhav to Appeal

The agencies had refuted any intelligence failure but blamed poor planning and coordination for so many causalities.

As reported by HT after the attack on April 3, security forces have opened 24 new “permanent camps” in the Maoist hotbed of the Bastar-Sukma region in the last four years, bringing approximately 600 square km area inside deep jungle under their control.

Source>>

The Indian Hawk
The Indian Hawkhttps://www.theindianhawk.com
TheIndianHawk Web Team, comprises a seasoned group of journalists with a collective experience of over 20 years in news and article writing. Renowned for their depth of insight and journalistic integrity, the team delivers timely and impactful content across a wide spectrum of topics. From breaking news to in-depth analyses, TheIndianHawk Web Team excels in providing accurate, well-researched information that keeps readers informed and engaged. Their dedication to journalistic excellence is evident in their ability to navigate complex issues and present them in a clear and compelling manner. With a commitment to serving their audience with integrity and professionalism, the team continues to uphold the highest standards of journalism, making them a trusted source of information in the digital landscape

Latest news

Related news